Posted in Plays

Weekly Play – Final Memes

Meme_You Get an A

I’ve been wanting to make this Oprah meme for awhile now, but decided that I would save it for my final play. Something that I have learned about creating memes is that it doesn’t always make sense or turn out as good if your audience doesn’t understand the “image” content used, original or remixed ;), or write caption appropriately for their audience.

For example, when I sent the one our professor made for our class website to my friend, she never replied back. I asked her about it the next time I saw her and she said that she didn’t understand it (even though I knew she watched all of “Game of Throne”). I quickly realized that she didn’t know what “BEDUC 476.” She didn’t know it was a “Digital Literacy” class, let alone it was a “class” in school. So, of course, it didn’t make sense to her.

winteriscoming

I, on the other hand, thought this was really funny and amusing. However, had I  not watched the first two season of this show, I am sure this would be one of those jokes that I didn’t get and nor would I have been sharing as I did. This wasn’t my only fail of this sort, my sisters didn’t understand some of the ones I made for class; so, I was bummed.

Thus, I provided the YouTube link below to show my classmates where my final meme originated from, in the case you didn’t know. When I started to yell/shout my caption out to my boyfriend, in the enthusiastic manner as Oprah, he was chuckling like “What are you doing?” I told him I was practicing my final meme. Then, I found this clip below so that he would understand. Every time I do it now, he thinks it’s funny.

By the way, my sisters and I watched this episode together back in the the day; so, they totally played into it, when I announced my final meme over dinner months ago. 🙂

The one below is another meme that I created just for fun. I was going to use it a previous weekly play, but decided I would learn something new and challenge myself with another “make” instead, especially since I was going to post the Oprah one as my  final play.

Seriously though, can you believe all the blogs and plays we’ve made for this class? Amazing how much we’ve accomplished as we reflect on our work this quarter.

Advertisements
Posted in Plays

Creating My First Vine

I was dreading this weekly play among the options to complete for our assignments. However, I have learned that this was probably the most useful among creating memes and GIFs (Obviously, can’t compare it to the “Connected Learning Make  Bank” since there were too many good stuff in it).

Anyway, knowing that I wanted to attempt this this weekend, I did some research homework and looked up information about it. In general, I do not like downloading anything on the computer and especially on my phone. I have always been wary about viruses and accidentally having to purchase something. Additionally, I do not have a lot of data on my phone. However, I knew that I would inevitably need to download this app, which I did.

Not really knowing how to play with this thing, I figured to just shoot my videos and do the figuring out later. I knew how to shoot because it was the one and only tutorial I watched. I had my concepts ready and knew that I would be at the mountains before lifts were opened.

My original plan: I wanted to show more of a blank canvas with students arriving to their flag sites to meet with their instructors (the Coordinate), then have some shots of students with the guidance, even at times holding/assisting during snowboarding or skiing down at marker points (the Cooperate), and then show a really busy run with skiers and snowboarders all simultaneously coming down the mountain from different directions and different speeds yet not crashing into each other (the Collaborate).

Playing & learning about Vine: I learned that Vine only allows a total of 6 second clips to be in one video at a time. So, I started to shorten start and end parts that I didn’t care for, beginning and end weren’t often the greatest parts anyway. I quickly discovered that you can move clips around and rearranged them, which allowed me to be more carefree in my shooting. I told myself to just shoot, cut and edit later. So, having to be cognizant of this 6 second time frame, which is short & quick! I wanted to make sure that I got the necessary “parts” to tell my concept.

What actually happened: The fail part was uploading it onto Vine, getting it onto my desktop ready to edit but only to discover that I couldn’t. What I uploaded was basically my production. I was extremely upset because I quickly deleted it, thinking that it’s still on my phone. Nope! Huge fail! I was in a near panic attack because this was what I’ve been thinking about for my play this week and now I lost the video(s)! I had all the other ones that I didn’t use, but not the one that I uploaded, which was comprised of 3-4 different clips.

I was fortunate to recover in the following ways: it was saved on my phone’s “photo” for some reason. Whether I did that on my own or Vine did it, I am not certain. So, I was able to transfer/upload the video saved on my phone onto Vine app (phone). However, the unfortunate part was when I was getting ready to rearrange and cut, I couldn’t do it. It already merged all of what I had as one video. Another grateful and fortunate part was the fact that I did do some rearranging prior, obviously not to my liking (but at least satisfied that the concept was there and the merge made sense). I was also able to add music as I intended and the caption before successfully uploading onto my post and my Twitter!